How Domain Authority Can Improve Your Business - Amplify Group
As a founder or business operator, you may be familiar with the term domain authority. You may have even heard it mentioned in conversations about search engine optimization (SEO), content marketing, and website traffic. But what exactly is domain authority, and why is it so important for your business?
In this article, we'll define domain authority, explain why it matters, and share tips on how to improve it for your website. Whether you're a go-to-market leader or a startup founder, understanding domain authority will help you drive more traffic to your website, rank higher in search results, and ultimately, grow your business by making it easier for your prospective customers to find you.
What is Domain Authority?
Domain authority (DA) is a metric developed by Moz, a leading SEO software company, that predicts how well a website will rank on search engine results pages (SERPs). DA is based on a 100-point scale and is calculated by evaluating a combination of factors, including the number of links pointing to your website (backlinks), the quality of those links, and the relevance of your content to your target audience.
In other words, domain authority is a score that measures how authoritative and trustworthy your website is perceived by search engines like Google. The higher your DA score, the more likely your website is to rank higher in search results for relevant keywords, and the easier it is for your prospective customers to find YOU.
For example, Forbes.com has a near perfect score (95 the last time we checked Moz Free Domain Analysis tool). Now, you won't be Forbes level 'authoritative' overnight, but that is a good example most of us can understand. How many times have you seen someone cite or reference a data point reported by Forbes? Exactly.
Why Does Domain Authority Matter?
Domain authority plays a key role in your website's overall SEO strategy.
A higher DA score will help you:
- Rank higher on search engine results pages (SERPs)
- Increase organic traffic to your website
- Build brand credibility and trust
- Attract high-quality backlinks from other authoritative websites
How to Improve Your Domain Authority
Improving your domain authority takes time and effort, but the results can be significant.
Here are some tips on how to boost your DA score:
- Create high-quality, original content that is relevant to your target audience
- Optimize your website's on-page SEO, including meta tags, headers, and image ALT tags (HubSpot has a built in SEO tool for this)
- Build a strong backlink profile by earning links from high-quality, authoritative websites in your industry
- Regularly update and maintain your website's content, including fixing broken links and improving page speed (we recommend a quarterly audit)
- Engage with your audience on social media and actively promote your content to increase visibility and attract new backlinks
Tools to Help Improve Your Domain Authority
There are several tools you can use to track your website's domain authority and monitor your progress over time.
Here are some of the most popular ones:
- SEMrush: SEMrush offers a comprehensive suite of SEO tools, including a domain overview feature that provides insights into your website's organic search traffic, backlink profile, and keyword rankings.
- Moz Link Explorer: This tool allows you to check your website's domain authority and track your backlink profile over time.
- Ahrefs: Ahrefs offers a range of SEO tools, including a domain rating feature that measures the strength of your website's backlink profile.
Domain authority is a crucial metric for any business owner or founder looking to improve their website's SEO and drive more traffic. By understanding what domain authority is, why it matters, and how to improve it, you can create a sustainable SEO strategy that will help you grow your business over time. Remember, improving your DA score takes time and effort, but the results are well worth it.
Want to learn more about how Amplify works with our clients to develop an SEO and content strategy? Book a call with our founder.