February 27, 2023
Nowadays, everyone is talking about search engine optimization (more commonly known as SEO). SEO sounds complicated, but it's less complex than you think and can be a powerful tool for your inbound strategy. Let's start with the basics.
What is SEO?
According to Google, SEO is increasing the visibility of website pages on search engine results pages (SERPs) to attract more relevant traffic. SEO is all about optimizing the content on the pages of your website so that it ranks on the first page of a SERP.
Why is SEO important? The primary purpose of a search engine is to connect people with the information they're seeking. It also helps with your inbound strategy by:
- Increasing visibility to potential customers
- Attracting more relevant traffic who are more likely to convert to customers
- Improving the user experience, making it easier for visitors to find what they're looking for and navigate your site
- Highlighting your site as a credible and trustworthy source of information
- Driving traffic and generating leads in a more cost-effective way
Components of SEO
SEO typically involves five main steps:
- Conduct keyword research to identify the topics people seek
- Create high-quality content to meet those needs
- Communicate your content with on-page SEO to make it as clear and easy to find as possible
- Build authority and credibility through link building (off-page SEO)
- Optimize your website's technical components for an ideal user interface and experience (technical SEO)
Unlock topics with keyword research
Keywords are the foundation of SEO. Keywords connect your target audience with your website, products, and services. Additionally, keywords are crucial for developing high-quality content to publish on your website.
To find your keywords, you need to conduct keyword research. Keyword research is the process of identifying keywords or phrases that people use to search for products or services similar to your website. You can conduct keyword research using a keyword research tool such as:
- Google Keyword Planner. Google Keyword Planner is a free tool offered by Google Ads that can help you research and analyze keywords. You can find data such as search volume and competition level.
- Keyword Surfer. Keyword Surfer is a browser extension that allows you to generate keyword ideas and see search volumes directly in Google search results.
- Ahrefs Keyword Generator. Ahrefs Keyword Generator is a free keyword generator tool that produces hundreds of free keyword ideas, complete with monthly search volumes and Keyword Difficulty (KD) scores.
- Moz Keyword Explorer. Moz's free Keyword Explorer tool helps you discover, prioritize, and build lists of high-quality keywords.
- Keywords Everywhere is another browser extension that allows you to access keyword metrics for any keywords and lets you download the list in Excel, CSV, or PDF.
Create high-quality content
Once you've identified your target keywords, it's time to create content. Content is the crux of SEO; web pages that rank the highest on SERPs are pages with high-quality, relevant, and engaging content. Your content should meet your target audience's needs and address their pain points.
Additionally, your content should be easy to read and skimmable. You don't want to keyword stuff your content—that is, putting so many keywords and phrases in your content that it becomes unreadable. Instead, you want to create content that attempts to answer your customers' questions, such as blog posts, e-books, white papers, pillar pages, and more.
Communicate Your Content With On-Page SEO
On-page SEO involves optimizing your website's content and structure to make it more search-engine friendly such as title tags, meta descriptions, headings, content, images, and internal links. Ensure that your chosen keywords appear in each of these elements so people can easily find your content.
Build Trust & Authority With Off-Page SEO
Off-page SEO allows you to build trust and authority for your website through link building. Link building involves optimizing backlinks (links to other sites), social media shares, and more to improve your website's credibility and authority. When you optimize your off-page SEO, you attract people who'll subscribe, link to, and help spread your content. As a result, your authority will grow to rank better in search engines, which will, in turn, boost brand affinity and optimize your funnel to convert more visitors.
Optimize Your Website's User Experience with Technical SEO
Search engines will crawl and index the pages on your site for on-page, off-page, and technical SEO elements to determine how optimized your site's content is. With technical SEO, you're optimizing the technical aspects of your website, such as site speed, mobile responsiveness, site architecture, and site security, to improve its performance and usability. If search engines can't crawl or index your site, it will struggle to rank.
Generate Inbound Leads with SEO
SEO isn't a one-and-done project; it's an ongoing effort to maintain and optimize your site's content to rank high on a SERP. Yet, when used correctly, SEO is a crucial part of building your inbound strategy. Contact Amplify Group today to learn how we can help you improve your inbound strategy through SEO.
Stay tuned for future blog posts where we'll dive deeper into each step of SEO: keyword research, content creation, on-page SEO, off-page SEO, and measuring the impact of SEO.